Sunday 3 November 2013

I'm back!

Ha yall!  I hope this is finding you fit, rockin and eatin some plants! 

Well it has been an interesting ride since the 100miler, let me tell you!  As most of you would probably know (and I have previously blogged about), I picked up a pretty bad Achilles injury about six-seven weeks ago and have been doing some extensive rehab since!  After seeing my lovely friend and physio Nix at Barolin Physio, Bundaberg regularly (they are amazing so please go there if you have any physio needs!) and following my come-back plan diligently, I can safely say.....I AM BACK!  This is the first injury where I have followed instruction and exercise 100%.  I have kept the focus of REALLY want to compete in Coast 2 Kosci and line up on start day un-injured!

In saying this, my preparation has been COMPLETELY different to what I had planned and I usually do in lead up to a big long race.  As my friends and training buddies know, I am all about bulk mileage.  You wanna do a long race, you better be runnin a long way in training!  So not being able to do this has really taken some determination and innovation to a) keep me fit and b) get me back running as soon and as far as possible before the big day.

During my rehab, apart from running VERY short distances and building VERY slowly, doing my exercises, seeing Nix weekly and a lot of icing, I have been doing a heap of swimming.  I used to hate swimming however this time around I have been finding it very enjoyable and been logging 10-15km a week on top of the running I have been able to complete in my rehab plan.  I want to say a massive thankyou to Ian at Anzac Pool Bundaberg for hooking a brother up and seriously looking after me in my unconventional build up to a little 240km run I have fast approaching!  Thanks mate, you have been a serious blessing!

So, in saying all this, I am now back to doing a 'normal' program.  I am still doing 100% what I am told and will not be logging quite the k's I would like to be doing, but still doing some decent long running.  I am also taking rest days (ok, I am swimming 3k on these days) from running which I dont usualy like to do but I think in the lead up to this event will keep me fresh.

I just want to thank you all for your support and encouragement over the last couple of months.  I am like a lost kid when I can not run and I am sure I have been driving thoes close to me a little crazy.  It is such a blessing to be back out there, getting amongst it and enjoying the wind in my flowing locks.  My fitness has only dropped a little since the 100miler (thanks to the swimming) and I know I am gonna be in good shape come the 6th of December for what will be my most epic running challange yet!   I am aiming to drop a few kg's over the next month to tune up for the big day but, three words my friends...BRING IT ON!

A couple of last things.....thanks to my beautiful wife Tegs and my family for helping me and putting up with me though this injury and supporting me in my quest for C2K.  Also, thanks to my running friends in Bundy and other towns, particularlly my bestie Lori for believing I can come back in time for a little stroll to the top of Australia!  Run Free!

On a last note, I am now also blogging for my work, Nanas Pantry.  I am going to be reviewing a product each week, talking about it and then providing a recipe to try out as well.  I believe the blog should start going live in the next couple of days, so please keep an eye on https://nanaspantry.com.au/ for the TattooRunners side project!  Check it out and let me know what you think!  Good fun!  Have a ripper week friends!  Plant on!

1 comment:

  1. Before you decide to get a tattoo, you should always take a little bit of time to talk to your tattoo artist. When you speak to him, you should be sure to ask questions and find out anything you can about your new tattoo. You should also find out information about his background, and other important bits of information that will assist you in moving forward with your decision.

    http://tattoodesigns.simplified4u.com/

    ReplyDelete