Saturday 28 September 2013

WHAT THE HECK?!?!

OMGosh!!!!  So....excitement, eagerness, fear and nervousness is present in the Grills at the moment!  Let me back up a sec and let you know why!

Just before GH100, I applied for Coast to Kosci....a 240km non-stop run from the coast at Sydney to the highest point in the country.  With a 46hour cut off, there is no dilly-dallying to be done in this event!  To be considered for this race, applicants have to submit a running resume and meet certain qualifying standards to even be thought of.  I put in last year however was not successful, which turned out to be a very good thing as mentally I was not ready!  Each year they only select about 50 applicants to take part in this iconic race.  As I would find out, this year there were an unprecedented number of applicants and resumes were studied thoroughly.

Today is the day runners were to find out if they were going to get the chance to attempt this epic journey.  However yesterday, I received an early email saying....I GOT IN!!!!  I can not believe it and am still feeling pretty overwhelmed!  The enormity of the task that is C2K is mind boggling and one that I am honoured to have a bloody good crack at!  Three words friends, BRING IT ON!  I am in the process of rounding up a crew to support me along the way for what will be a super fun road trip and crazy race experience!  I have also contacted a couple of potential sponsors to help with costs however if anyone would like to, or knows anyone who might be interested in throwing a few bucks to help with transport, accommodation, race entry etc costs, please let me know. 

Now....in saying all this, there is still the small issue of my Achilles!  Let me say, it is going AWESOME!  I haven't run this week on physio orders however have taken to swimming!  I have probably swum three times in the last three years however managed to do 6k in the last four days!  I have been going with a mate Alex from Uni who is a swim coach and he has sufficiently been smashin me!  Good times!  I think this forced rest will be a blessing in disguise and have me keen and pumped up for the massive training that is ahead of me! 

I will be commencing my C2K training tomorrow as it is 10weeks until race day (December 6th).  I will be swimming long until I get the all clear from the physio however am pretty confident I am gonna be able to run sooner rather than later as it is feeling good.  It is going to be a fun, exciting, load of k's next 10 weeks and I can not wait!!!  YES!

Lastly friends, this Thursday afternoon I will be finished my first year of Uni!!!  I can not believe how quick the time has gone!  It has been hard, very time consuming and a massive challenge but one that I have enjoyed and applied myself to the best I possibly could have.  I am looking forward to some time off until Term 1 next year, spending time with my girls, friends and family, working some more and putting in a load of training.  Thanks to you all for your support this year and I look forward to being able to actually catching up without having to worry about getting back to the books!  Have a super week peeps!  Love to you all!  

4 comments:

  1. Yeah!!!!! The swimming break will do you wonders. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done Mat - bring on the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Mat. That's going to be huge!

    ReplyDelete