Tuesday, 30 July 2013

You did a PB by how much?!

So...Sunday just gone saw the Flinders Tour 50k trail run come around again.  Since last year when I ran 5hrs 32min (with about an extra 2k cause I took a wrong turn), I have been planning to have a dig and crack the 5hr 30min mark.  I ran pretty hard last year so there would be no mucking around this stint.

Tegan, the girls and I headed down on Saturday and had a nice stop off in Pomona before heading to our friends house where we would be staying in Tewantin.  We had a lovely afternoon/night just hanging out, relaxing and enjoying our friends company.  After a beautiful dinner and a nice nights sleep, I woke up Sunday ready and rearing to go.

We made our way down to Beerburrum School for the start.  After catching up with some old friends and meeting some new ones, we were off!

All along I had planned on getting into things from the start.  One has to start wondering though... I have been doing a minimum of 100-120km per week training for the last couple of months (appart from when I hurt my shoulder) and I felt underdone!  What the heck!?

As per usual, the first k's slid by without much effort.  I felt myself breathing at times but made sure that I stayed relaxed and composed.  About 4-5km in I slid in some mud, went down and took some skin off.  I dusted myself off quickly though and carried on.  I made a point of trying to catch a few people in front of me but being conscious not to push too hard.

I met a few cool people along the way, Kerry, Brad, Josh and a few others and had some good conversations along the way.  It is always a beautiful blessing to meet new people at ultras, hear their stories and share experiences with them over a few k's...kinda like what I imagine people go to the pub for...except healthy!  Anywho...As I am not wearing a Garmin these days, I had no idea how fast we were going and told all thoes around me that I didnt want to know!  I knew we were doing a decent clip though.

I saw the girls at about half way through the first loop and Pria had a bit of a run with me.  It warms my heart to know that she is out in nature and that I can set a good example for her doing what I love!  Love you kiddo, you make my heart smile!  My girls are the world to me and it is so so special having them take part in what is otherwise an individual sport.

Before long we reached Mt Beerburrum and I went up and down without any drama.  I arrived back at the school after 27km, including the mountain in 2hr 22min...I knew then that things were going well, and speedy!  After a quick aid station, I grabed some refills and was off again.

I cruised along pretty well for about the next 40min and then started to feel the pinch a little.  I power hiked a few hills but was still keeping a good pace.  In one beautiful section of single track, I tried to have some Raw Bar and nearly had a spew.  I didnt finish it thought 'oh well mate' and plugged on forward.

This race is the first time that I have actually felt like I was racing.  I know that sounds wierd as I have now done like 15 or something ultras and over 10 marathons, but this day I actually felt like I was racing....constantlly checking who was around me, in front and behind.  I tried to remind myself often though that it didn't matter, I was running my own race and couldnt help what anyone else was doing.  I pushed on as hard as I could.

I arrived at aid station 4A where Russ, a mate I know, told me it was about 6k to the finish.  I looked at my watch and though I could make it in under 4hrs 30min!!! What the heck?!  Well Russ...you lied!  Ha!  It was further than 6k but I still pushed on as best I could, including another stack.  I almost caught another 50k runner in front of me but just didnt have the legs to keep with him. Cheeky bugger!

As I approached the finish, I was done.  I had given my all and I was toast!  I ran to the finish line in a time of 4hrs 40min.  I couldnt believe it!  A PB of over 52minutes!  I was unable to celebrate straight away though as I was in all sorts.  I had pins and needles in my head, hands and feet and didnt know what I was doing.  I sat with my head under a tap for a while, layed down and tried to get myself together.  It proably took a good 15-20min before I started to feel any sort of normal again.  Once that happened, I was able to chat with some friends, meet some new people, spread the love about my beloved Luna Sandals (www.lunasandals.com) and generally have a good time telling war stories!

The trail ultra running crew that come to races at the Glasshouse events warm my heart!  I have met some incredible and inspiring people there and value every second I get to spend with them, even if it is only brief during post race madness.  Well done to Sammy, Chris, Marina, Sievland, Dad, John, Katie, Belinda, Scott and any other friends I have forgotten!

As per usual, I just want to give a big shout out to Chris at the Mower Doctor for sponsoring my race and helping me along the way!  I am a shameless self promotor so if anyone else is interested in sponsoring me in my endeavours feel free to drop me a line at grills_1@hotmail.com

A couple of days post race I am still a bit sore but have done a couple of short runs.  I plan on resuming normal training tomorrow as it is only six and a half weeks till the 100miler!  I am super super pumped and excited for it and cant wait to hook in!  Another thing I am really pumped about is that I have abour 5-6 friends doing their first miler!!!  To see them get to the finish line will be far more satisfying than any personal accomplishments I might achieve.

I hope and pray this finds you well friends.  There are a heap of cool and exciting things in the pipeline for me and I cant wait to share them with you over the coming weeks!  Keep smiling bothers and sisters, run free, eat plants and peace out!  TattooRunner

No comments:

Post a Comment