Monday 4 February 2013

Hopefully back!

Hay y'all!  Well it has been a rather 'ínteresting' last couple of weeks.  On the running front, I have still only been doing bits and pieces of cross training and a couple of very short runs.  I have rested my injured Achilles, which has been extremely difficult, however now hopefully I have seen the worst of it!  I started a eight week program yesterday to get myself back in shape and rearing to go for Wild Horse 70k on the Easter weekend.  This is a race I have wanted to do for a while now and we are making it a family affair which will be super!  Dad is doing the 70k also and my sister Melinda is doing her first trail race in the 30k event.  Super fun!

On a much more important and well covered note, Bundy has really coped a hammering over the last couple of weeks.  The devastation from the floods and tornado's has been horrible and sometimes I cant believe my eyes at some of the sights I have seen (probably more than most through my work).  I have been in a unique situation with my job of working during this natural disaster...again!  I was working during the floods of 2010/11 also and my heart goes out to those affected. 

It is interesting to see human responses to major events like this.  Some are angry, sad, lost, helpful, generous, selfish, grateful at what little they have...the list goes on.  Something that always amazes me though is the power of the human spirit.  Even though there are those that try and take advantage of a bad situation, the overall support, kindness, love, selflessness and beauty of people wanting to help others is amazing!  I have made numerous offers to help and have done my part at work but feel bad that I haven't done more.  In a way we have felt really disassociated from it all as our estate suffered no effects at all.  The sad thing is that sometimes it is 'out of sight out of mind'.  I don't want it to be this way, but sometimes it happens like this.  In saying this, my thoughts and prayers are with all those who's lives have been changed forever through the events of the last couple of weeks.

I know they haven't done it for any sort of acknowledgement or recognition but I just want to say how amazed and proud I am of a couple of people.  My dad and Lee have been putting in a minimum of 12hour days helping out, and the two Jodie's I know seem to be everywhere doing their bit for anyone who needs it, you have been amazing!  Jeff and Christian from FNQ who have worked a minimum of 110hours each this last week...although they have been getting paid, the organisation and willingness to go the extra mile has been awesome!  Also, a massive shout out to my emergency service brothers and sisters, security workers and all the volunteers.  They have all been working tirelessly, doing what they can, and a lot of the time, what they can't to help out.  And to everyone else who has put in in whatever way through this time in Bundy....thank you!

Keep strong my friends.  I love you all and think you are incredible.  Keep your heads up, smile, and don't be afraid to ask for help.  Us Bundy yokels are strong and we will re-build!  Until next time, run free in body and spirit my friends!  You are amazing! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again Mat, good to hear you are on the mend and hey listen to your body - it does know best. For those not in the know the wild horse 70k can be found at http://www.wildhorsecriterium.com/ sometimes you have just got to get out and do it, be it an ultra or assisting in a natural disaster. Life - make the most of it. Chris

    ReplyDelete