Monday 21 January 2013

New Years again???


So, you have started the year off with the usual ‘New Years Resolutions’.  You had the best intentions in mind, set some big goals and really wanted to make 2013 different to previous years.  If you are one of the ones who are staying true to their resolutions, super, ripper work and keep it up!  However…we are now on the 21st day of the month and you might be thinking…’where did it all go wrong?’ You’re not the only one! 

 

Not to try and make excuses, because that’s all they are, but I have had a stressful start to the year.  I have found myself with my first real injury since taking up running.  I have been waiting anxiously to find out about the big change in careers (yeah!) and we have a baby coming soon!  A combination of all these things and just being slack has seen my diet/training goals go to the dogs.

 

Well I am here to tell you that that is in the past!  The awesome thing about life, friends, is that once a moment has past, if it didn’t go as you planned, you have a brand new opportunity to change your ways going forward.  This is where I am right now.  There is 52weeks in the year and we have only got through a couple, so I plan on getting back on track with my goals and dreams for 2013 starting today. 

 

In a recent Podcast I listened to by Rich Roll (if you haven’t heard of him or listened to his Podcast, do yourself a favour and check it out!  Inspiring stuff!) he was talking about resolutions and how setting yourself life changing habits rather than ‘resolutions’ that can fall apart at the drop of a hat might be more productive.  If you have found your New Years resolutions have gone to the dogs, forget that, and set your self some life, habit, and future changing goals that you can stick to, one moment at a time!  The best thing is that no one can tell you now that your plans are destined to fail!  New Years is done with! 

 

What am I talking about?!  Well, while it is awesome to set a plan to aim to lose 10kg or run your first half marathon etc, once these goals area achieved, it is a bit ‘where to from here’.  Now I do understand these ambitions as I am also motivated by numbers (km run, kg’s lost etc).  I think though that something that may be more beneficial and future altering is setting life goals rather than focusing on short term accomplishments.  By this I mean something like eating two vegetarian meals a week, run at least 15min every day, go vegan for the first week of every month, read to your child at least every second night.  Goals like this are sustainable and don’t have an end date.  You still need to be specific and have a plan in place or they get lost in the wind, but maybe goals like this help us to become better, healthier humans in this life.  And remember, if you slip up, jump back on track the next moment, don’t let things linger on and on.

 

To clarify with my own example, I have set a weight goal that I want to achieve, over time, but my overall life plan going forward is to eat a healthy, plant based diet (vegan).  I also want to focus on the quantity of food I am eating as at times it is far too much.  So there is still a short term numbers ‘resolution’ if you will, but the greater focus and desire is to live healthier, longer, leaner, fitter and stronger by staying plant strong long term.  This is an on-going, no ‘end date’ goal that I can focus on moment by moment and see my life transform over a week, month, year and life.

 

As far as training goes at the moment, it is a day by day, week by week thing to assess how my Achilles goes.  I am swimming, biking and doing core/stretching work as always.  At this point I am hoping to start running again next week and then start a eight week program the following week for Wild Horse 70k…we’ll see how things go!  Really though, the main focus is to get injury free and get back to running consistently.  Please Jesus make that SOON!!

 

So, my friends, the overall message in this is DON’T GIVE UP!  There are 365days in the year and only 20 have gone!  If you focus on making the rest of the 345days amazingly awesome you have only lost like 5.5% of the year to your not so good choices!  Keep your head up, write your new goals down, keep a journal, smile and RIP IN!  Much love to you all, and here’s to achieving, day by day our new goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment