Saturday, 21 April 2012

Let me tell you a little story..

What up crew!  Hope and pray this babble meets you all well and good!

Things in the TR hood are all good!  Family is awesome, work is going stella (with even a few foot chases and exciting jobs) and training is ramping up nicely.  For the last three or four weeks I have consistently run well over 100km per week and feel fresh as a daisy!

As I have had a few ups and downs in the start of the year (nothing to really complain about), I wanted to get a good solid run in before The Cooks Tour (80km) in a couple of weeks.  I wanted to run to Childers at Easter but dont think I was quite ready at that I set a date, TODAY!

So I rounded up a few friends and we met at Mum and Dads at 4am and set off into the darkness.  There were  five starters, Tanya, Lee, Karen, Matty and myself.  Sue wanted to get an early start and was off at 3am!  Crazy times!  Dad was to be our support vehicle as he has been injured.  It sucks he couldn't run but at least he was still threre!

Starting off there was no drama and we were all in good spirits!  The dark running was exciting for a few that hadnt done that before and it was nice and cool which kept us plugging along.  Everyone did really well and seemed to be progressing nicely.  With Dad having food/drink in the ute, it made for a reassuring run.

Matt, Karen, Tanya, Lee and I
Karen plugged on well and achieved a personal best of a bit over 20k (I think it was more like 21 or 22).  Matty then kept going to complete a personal best in his home made huaraches of 24km.  Stella performance my friend, stella!  We then stopped for a quick few photos and to refuel the body before saying good by to Matt and Karen.  Dad drove them back into town, what a champion!

It was at this point that we also caught Sue.  She was going steady, but I tell you what, that is one determined woman!  She was going great, looked fresh, but I think was happy to see dad with some water and aide!  She said that she was happy to keep going on her own so Lee, Tanya and I left her to chug along herself.

So, the three of us kept running at a great pace!  I am thankful that I had their company as we were going quite a bit quicker than I would have on my own and there conversation and companionship was super!  As dad had to go into town and back again, this was our longest stint without aide.  He eventually caught back up to us after about 1hr 15min and I was pretty happy to see him and get some Coke in the system and refuel with some of Tanyas home made protein bars (YUM) and watermelon.

Once refueled we kept going and things were going nicely.  I ditched the Sunday business attire (my new race collared shirt, as per above) and went all minimal on your ass, shirtless.  It was nice and cool to start with as the early morning fog was STILL around.  After a while however the sun came out and it heated up nicely.

Tanya and Lee
As we were running quite quick (for a long run anyway) I started to slow a little from Tanya and Lees cracking pace.  I kept about 10-20meters behind them and just kept plugging away.

We arrived at the Apple Tree Creek Servo and had time to take a few photos.  We heard that Sue had made it 40km which is an amazing effort!  I think the longest she has ever run is 25-30k so just incredible!  Well done Suzie!

Tanya, Lee and I, almost there. (I
need more tattoos, wanna sponsor me?!)
As per usual, and something that ALWAYS seems to happen on long runs, Dad started to lose his mind!  Between all the driving back and forward and being on the road, he always tends to get a bit loopy, which is always fun and evident from the picture to your    right!

After Apple Tree Creek, we turned off the Highway onto Old Creek Road to go to my work friend Leesa's house.  She so very kindly offered for us to use her shower and use her place as a finish line.  So after a nice sharp little hill and a few more k's, we made it!  All feeling pretty darn good and stoked with our performance for the day!

After a tub at Leesa's beautiful house (thanks again Leesa) we then met up with Lees wife and son, Mum, Tegan and Pria and all went into town for a feed, relax and a laugh.  Beautiful day out!

A couple of wraps...

The three at the finish!
Tanya - Holy makral!  Before today she had not run further than 30k!  She ran through her first marathon and completed the entire distance fresh as a daisy and powering on!  Super super effort!  I have a sneaking suspicion she may be joining me for some trail ultras in the near future!

Lee - Appart from being a big skirt and not even planing on coming, he as usual did an incredible job!  He is as fit and strong as ever and was great to do another run with you mate!

Dad - Thanks Boss for all your help today.  Was super to have you there and provide all your usual energy and fuel supplies you bought!  Thanks again Boss, hope your back on the road with us soon again!

So, I am stoked.  I only walked one hill and Lee, Tanya and I completed 51.18km in 5hours and 29min (including stops).  This was a super hit out physically and mentally for the Cooks Tour...BRING IT!

Good times people!  Thanks again for following my blog!  I love writing it and I hope you all are still enjoying the rants!  Keep smiling friends, be good to each other and Ill catch you again soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment