Monday 20 August 2012

Ups and downs....

First up, sorry that I haven’t been blogging much as of late. As I think I have previously mentioned, we have been without a computer so it has proved a little more challenging getting regular posts up. We have a new one now and it should be set up this week so that will make my constant harassment of yourself much easier.

So, since my last post there has been a vast array of ups and downs! First of all, on the running side. After running the hardest (as in ripping in) 50k race I have so far at Flinders Tour, I commenced the next week still trying to obtain my 100mile week goals. My legs were shot and running was very difficult! Due to my own fault, and overtraining and not listening to my body, I got a very sore foot and it stopped me running for a few days. I smashed myself with time cross training to let the foot rest and it came good.

Since then, I did another 100mile week last week but due to twisting my ankle a bit on one of my runs, my left ankle has become quite sore. Anyone who knows anything about running knows that when something is not right, it will in turn throw other things out. Biomechanics get stuffed up! This ankle soreness came reasonably good (whilst I continued to train) however, it not being 100%, has started to contribute to a sore right calf, foot and back of the knee…what the heck! This is now to the point where I need to have a couple of days off I think and then a couple of easy days running before resuming my program again next week.

Now this might all seem a bit negative but I have since Flinders Tour still done weeks of 129km, 34km and 162km…not bad for not being 100%. So I am hoping and praying that a few days of rest, then a few days of shorter runs will see things improve and my back to full running next week. This is important due to Glasshouse 100 being only four weeks away!

Now, on the eating/weight loss side of things. I have been quite a bit up and down in this regard too. Again, not all bad news as my weight has remained at a constant of between 79-80kg however my eating has been a little erratic, by my standards anyway! I decided (a little on a whim) to go to a 100% vegan diet on the 15th of this month. It seems in the five days since then ALL I have done is think about food and analyse things. This has essentially done my head in! I don’t think I am quite ready yet mentally to make this big leap….YET! Some might see this as weak however I am not afraid to admit my short falls and struggles and that I need to learn a lot more. I feel like my vegetarian knowledge is quite strong however when it comes to veganism, I am still very much in the infancy stage of learning. I have found my transition to vegetarianism VERY easy and I encourage you all to give it a go! VERY worth while and a decision you wont regret! The move to vegan though is huge…well I feel at this time as though it is anyway. My knowledge of this lifestyle while ok isn’t great and I have a lot of learning to do. Veganism is something that I am very interested in pursuing and ending up at one day, however at this point in time, socially, training wise and mentally, I am going to stick with eating a healthy vegetarian diet and continue to learn and grow. I know I will have my haters (always do) but forks to them. For those who know me well, know that I am always trying to improve myself and I feel like this is the right decision for now…knowledge is power! As long as I am moving forward positively and learning each day, in every area of my life, that is
the main thing and I don’t care what anyone negative says!! So, unless you got something positive to say, step aside cause I’m coming through! Ha!

As far as my training and eating goes, I just want to thank you all for putting up with my madness. Especially the ones who listen to my mindless rants and have to put up with my lunacy so often: being my beautiful wife Tegan, training buddy Jodie and constant bouncing board via electronic cyberspace Lori. Life is such a journey and I am so blessed to have friends and family that support me in my pursuit for a better life, health and fitness.

So from here…as I said in just under four weeks I will be taking part in the 100miler, Glasshouse 100. I have resigned myself to the fact that I need to have a couple of days off running and then ease back into things. I am planning on getting back to a healthy vegetarian diet and reach 78kg by Glasshouse. I still have the goal of going under 24hours this year and feel, even though I have a few niggles, my fitness is the best it has been and I am ready to give this a red hot go! I have this week also re-assessed my weight goals and while I am not going to share them here (don’t want you all giving me a hard time for wanting to lose too much weight) I am aiming to achieve this goal by the end of 2012. Plenty of time for hard training, beautiful eating and leanness!!!

So my friends, the end for another blog. As I said it has been a little up and down since Flinders however I am truly blessed! Just to be able to run, love life and God, have amazing support, clean water and beautiful food to eat…life is good! I hope this finds you getting the most of every day, smiling and living each moment as if it were you last! Love to you all and until next time…TattooRunner.

No comments:

Post a Comment