Wednesday 9 November 2011

Reflections...

Whats up my friends!?  Well I am a little excited today as it is my birthday!  Now before I start my rambling, I just want to clarify that this is not meant to be a negative blog, but more a reflection on things...we'll see how we go!

So today I am 29years old and start my last year in my 20's!  It is a strange feeling but not really one that is bad?  As time moves on, we all get older.  I think the more we can accept that, the better we will be!  I look forward to the future with my wonderful family and friends and starting to get into the peak years for an ultra runner (mid 30's to mid 40's)  I think there is a fine line between growing old gracefully and going to extreme lengths to cover up the years of life lived and experiences had!  I know I am not at the point of 'showing my age' particularly yet, but just saying!  I am sure I will be there before I realize 

Though out my life so far, I have done some amazing, incredible things!  Those who know me well, know that I have no regrets in life.  I believe that life is about learning experiences and that everything happens for a reason!  If things happen that might not have turned out the way you or I would have liked, learn from it, move on and become a better, stronger, more resilient person!  Life is about living and making each day better than the last!

In saying that, I have had plenty of learning experiences in my 28years on earth!  As of late, there are a few things that I want to make better in my life, particularly to do with running/diet.  If we dont want to improve, whats the point?!  One of my friends latley gave me a saying C or D (Change or Die!)  How appropriate!  Lets adapt, change and improve!  I have become sick of being stuck on the carousel so to speak and making the same basic errors over and over.  So...without telling too much, I have decided to make the 29th year of my life...before I reach the big 3-0, a turning point in who I am and what I do.  I will release bits of information as time goes on, but I really want to see some major changes personally in this year ahead.  To the common person, the changes probably done seem significant, however to me, they will be important.  Stay tuned for the next year!  HA!

I know a lot of people that I know probably think that I put far too much time, effort and living into running.  Let me explain a little.  Running to me is my haven.  Life is SO buzy, it is the time that I can think about everything, or think about nothing.  I can solve the worlds problems in my head, or float along.  It is my resolve!  Running makes me, and I believe it could make you too, a better person.  It improves my friendships, health, marriage  parenting, day to day living, work, mental state (although some would disagree on that one!)...every fascist of my life! There is something mesmerizing, basic, spiritual, releasing, calming, clearing, loving about the simple art of putting one foot in front of the other!  This is our most basic, first sport!  Humans have been relishing in the art of running since we were created by God, and EVERYONE can do it, I truly believe that!  As a side point too, this is a big reason why I dont listen to music when I run.  Life is so 'noisy' why would I want to ruin the experience I have explained in short with more noise?!  Listen to nature, your breathing, foot falls...get in touch with the world we live in instead of just flying by it!

So when people say or think that I spend too much time running, trust me, if I didn't, I don't think I would be very enjoyable to be around.  It is my passion and a basic, primal love.  So I hope and pray that this year will be a great, challenging, rewarding and blessed one for me!  I hope that you will notice small changes in the way I am/live.  Life is an amazing journey and one that deserves to be sucked dry of everything it is worth!

If you are not trying to be a better person every day, and are just floating along in life...make a change today! Do something different, make life count, we only have it once!

I love you all friends and I am so blessed to have known you all for a short, or long time, depending on where I met you in my life journey!  Lets live, love, smile and make the most of what we have!  I cant wait to spend my 29th year alive with you all in one way or another!  Go for a run today for me, even if it is to the corner and back, you never know, you might catch the bug!

Love life, smile big and run on friends!

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment