Wednesday 29 June 2011

Bitumen is boring...except for 10years!

Well in three more sleeps, I will be doing the Gold Coast Marathon again.  I have to be honest and say it is not a run I really want to do.  Mainly given the fact that
1. It is on bitumen.
2. It is just marathon distance.
3. It is on bitumen.
In saying that though, the reason we are making the yearly trek once more is because it is my dads 10th year running the race!  A super achievement and one that we weren't sure he was going to make!  Since The North Face, Dad, who has never been injured, has been injured and doing his very best to be ready for the Goldy!  I think he is almost up to scratch and will battle through regardless.  What a trooper!

I am also really looking forward to catching up with a lot of friends who are doing the race and encouraging a heap of first time marathoners I know.  I may end up running a fair bit slower time to my usual marathon time as I am looking at running with a first timer, but we'll see what happens.  It will be a super weekend away and if you are looking for me, just spot the tattooed man wearing trail shoes on the black stuff!

Apart from that, the last two weeks have been good ones doing just over 115km in each week.  This week however I have picked up another flu and am battling to be right come Sunday.  I have only done a few 5k runs since Sunday, but I think I should have the k's in the legs by now!

On other news, this year I have actually kept a record of how many k's I have done.  I have never done this and was interested.  So at the mid way point (26weeks) I have covered 1973.14km.  I have no idea if that is good, bad or otherwise, but gee it would have been good to do another 27k to get to 2000!!! Oh well, I'll have to rip in a bit more in the back half of the year!

Also, on my 12 week challenge.  The first week and a bit has had mainly ups with a couple of downs.  I had a loss of 2.6kg in my first week (crazy town) which was unexpected!  This week however I have had a couple of bad days but am back on the wagon now and looking forward to hitting some good goals on my return from the Goldy.  Stats 27/6 - 88.6kg 20% body fat (by my scales)

So ripper champions, have a top week, and if you are doing the Goldy Marathon, Half or 10k, GOOD LUCK!  Keep your head in the game and remember, running is easy, just one foot after the other!

Run on troopers! Mx

2 comments:

  1. Good on you Mat.....and your Dad. Hope he recovers from whatever ails, quickly. You guys are the epitome of what ultra-running is all about - consistent, strong, mindful and enthusiastic. You inspire the Newbies and motivate the veterans. Keep on Running Boys, and remember....Bitumen is Boring, Trails are Tops and Loves the Gloves!!

    Dean ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mat, we were so close to each other. I just added up my YTD and I hit 1947.23km. I was a bit inconsistent for Jan and Feb and started picking it up from March. Hope to get to 5000km for the year so need to pick it up. Key is consistency. This ultra running thing will help methinks. Good luck for the bitumen at GCM and look forward to seeing you there mate. Awesome work.

    ReplyDelete